Nearly 9,500 Americans are diagnosed with skin cancer each day and 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime. To help reduce these rates, the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention has designated the Friday before Memorial Day as “Don’t Fry Day.” Arcadia Louvered Roofs is proud to join the Skin Cancer Foundation, the American Association of Dermatologists, and the American Cancer Society in promoting sun safety awareness by sharing these sun safety tips:
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds.
- Wear sun-protective clothing including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher to your face and entire body 30 minutes before going outside. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant, broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Use extra caution near water, snow, and sand.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam.
- Seek shade. Avoid direct exposure to the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when UV rays are the most intense. Incorporate shade-structures like Arcadia louvered roofs and covered pergolas into your environment.
According to the Skin Cancer Foundation’s President, Deborah S. Sarnoff, MD, “Skin cancer is mainly a behavioral disease and it is strongly linked to sun exposure—about 90% of non-melanoma skin cancers are associated with ultraviolet rays from the sun.” Concern for this growing health issue has motivated the Arcadia team to launch an educational campaign encouraging Americans to take precautions and seek shade when outdoors. Our CEO, Scott Selzer, points out that “we are finding significant growth in customers contacting us for an Arcadia louvered roof in order to reduce sun exposure.” Made of thick gauge extruded aluminum, Arcadia roofs provide protection from the strong overhead sun when the louvers are fully closed. Selzer points out that “our shade system is fully adjustable and can be closed with the touch of a smart phone app.” Being safe in the sun is important for both adults and children, and it’s never too late to reduce your chances of developing skin cancer. Contact us today to discuss adding a shade structure to your home or business.